Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Making Micro Wave Meals Healthy and Low Cost


Cooking for one is no fun.  Actually cooking is not my favorite thing to do consequently I am not a good cook.  I don't enjoy slicing, dicing, peeling, braising. When I cook, it's usually using my crockpot where I toss everything in and forget it for a few hours. Lately, I've started fixing microwave meals cutting calories, cost, and sodium.

I am a label reader. Being on heart, blood pressure, and cholesterol medicine, I read labels carefully, especially for sodium.  It is hard to find microwave meals or prepackaged food without high levels of sodium.

I am also careful to avoid Nightshades since I firmly believe they contribute to joint pain.  I have personally tested it again and know when I eat Nightshades I am in pain compared to when I avoid them.

A list of Nightshades is at the end of this post.





I like having precooked vegetables on hand, usually cooked in the crockpot with a low sodium broth, wine or beer. I recently heard a commercial for a pain medicine where hops are the main ingredient.  Hops, as in beer.



I also add spices considered by some researchers to be anti-pain---Ginger, Garlic, Basil, Turmeric and sometimes Cumin.

People with gallbladder problems should be careful using Turmeric. It is wise to never make changes in eating habits without consulting your medical adviser.



I also include salad, usually mixed greens with my microwave meal since I only use half of the pre-packaged meal.  That's how I cut calories, cost, and sodium in half.

The 2d half I will serve at another meal with noodle, beets, and asparagus or some other vegetables I enjoy.

 On the plate are mixed vegetables, mixed greens salad, and from the microwave meal, Bourbon Steak and baked sweet potatoes.  There were slices of red bell pepper in the meal that I removed before cooking.  They are a Nightshade.

This was enough food for me for a meal. Anyone with a heartier appetite can add larger portions of veggies and salad and also add rolls.

As I mentioned, next round the steak and sauce will go over cooked noodles with beets and asparagus and of course, salad.

Using only half the dinner at a time, I reduced calories sodium. sugar, fat, cholesterol, and cost.

I don't use microwave meals more than two or three times a week but by only eating half at a time, I get six meals.

However you cook and eat, always make it healthy. When you are older you will be glad you did.  Wish I had started taking care of me younger.


            

Nightshades
Members of the family Solanaceae, common nightshades include white (but not sweet) potatoes, eggplant, tomatoes, and peppers, both the eye-watering chilies and the sweeter bell peppers. The list of edible nightshade plants also includes any spices made from peppers, like paprika, red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper (although black pepper is a different plant).
Nightshade info from - http://paleoleap.com/nightshades/

All photos are mine.  

This blog may contain sponsored products.  The Fitkitchen meal is not a sponsored product. I bought it and took a photo of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kent Price info

my email is  khprice@aol.com my website is  www.kprice.com the K-town subpage is  www.kprice.com/kahs the K-town contact list is  ...