Sunday, July 30, 2017

Thinking About Things I'll Never Do

Thinking About, Things I’ll never do.

I will never sing at the Met; never have my own T.V. series; never be President of the United States and most likely I will never be a millionaire, but there is always hope.


I’ve never written a poem that touched someone’s heart;  never discovered or invented anything that would make a difference in this world.  My name will never be in history books, nor will I ever leave a work of art that will tell future generations that I was here.  When I am gone, my legacy will be my children and the generations to follow.

What, if anything, can I tell them about me, their ancestor?  That I never did anything special? I never climbed a mountain or reached a pinnacle of success in business.  I was never named to the best-dressed list of fashion.  What would I like them to know about me? What have I accomplished?

Perhaps nothing more than serenity.  I have achieved a modicum of peace that I embrace with joy. I can accept who and what I am. I am me, a very special person who has learned to love, to laugh, and at long last to be happy with myself.

I have so much happiness in my life as I go from day to day enjoying my family and friends, accepting the good and not so good.  I have learned to have faith in myself, in where I am, and what I am doing.

I have had pain, sadness, and sorrow.  I have some regrets, frustrations, and futility.  I have despaired, felt inadequate, and on occasion, I have totally disliked myself.  I have wished I had been a better daughter, a better wife, better mother, and better friend.  There were times when I felt totally useless, a waste, and asked again and again why I had been born.  Was there a purpose?

I’m happy to say those times of despair are gone.  I know why I’m here.  I know who I am.  I’m me, that’s it, pure and simple.  I’m someone who might never be rich or famous in this world, but I am someone who loves being in this world. I love the beauty of this universe.  I have watched the rising sun glisten on Pike’s Peak with multiple hues of dawn.

I have felt the vastness of the sea as I sailed to and from Europe, and the warm, gentle breezes of the Caribbean.  I’ve been to Paris, Rome, some of the Greek Isles, and Hawaii.  I have memories of those places, but most of all, I have the joy of watching my children as caring, responsible adults.

I have great pride watching my grandchildren growing substantially in a world so different from the world of my childhood.  To be able to share their world, to be a part of it, and to have their love is beyond any measure of success or remorse for things I’ll never do.”





No comments:

Post a Comment

Kent Price info

my email is  khprice@aol.com my website is  www.kprice.com the K-town subpage is  www.kprice.com/kahs the K-town contact list is  ...